header

header

8.08.2013

Skunk!!! Run!!!

I shared with you some photos of our blackberry picking along with a recipe earlier this week.



 Doesn't it look lovely?  Lots of ripe berries nearly falling off the bushes, the birds are squawking for us to leave their bounty alone, squirrels dropping random acorns on our heads in an attempt to scare us away...sigh...nature...

Right around the time I took this photo, I noticed I could smell a faint smell that warned me a skunk was nearby.  I was taking my son's picture then said "Uh oh, there is a skunk nearby, we need to make a move."

Not 30 seconds later I noticed a nearby thicket shaking and realized our dog was "hunting" again.  Just as I called her away from there I heard the sound and smelled the super strong skunk smell.  She was hit!  She must have gotten the worst of it in the face and, blinded by the oil, she barreled straight into me, taking me out at the back of my knees.  I was laid out, like Charlie Brown after kicking a football, with a skunky dog next to me frantically rubbing her face into the ground.


I ran up, and stuck her in her crate while I consulted Facebook for a solution:


Lots of you came to the rescue with instructions to make this concoction! Thank you Patricia, Dot, and Jill!

Skunk Bath:

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp. liquid dish soap

Wet your dog, pour mixture over sprayed areas and let sit while rubbing it in for a few minutes.

Rinse and repeat if necessary then wash dog with normal dog shampoo.

When she is dry you can't smell a thing, but if she gets wet it comes back STRONG!  The vet said this will happen for up to 3 months!

2 comments:

  1. ugh! Husband's childhood dog got skunked and I swear you could still smell the skunk in his mom's house when she turned on the heat and this was 2 years after he died and 4 years after he was skunked! Peeeewewwww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so difficult to get rid of that smell! BLECH! Last year, our dogs got sprayed in the middle of the night. Poor things! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work